Friday, June 6, 2008

Leave it to Beaver

Question: What's the first sexual line uttered on commercial television?

Answer: Ward, I think you're being too hard on the beaver.

It's an old joke but it still makes me laugh. It's one of those where you only have to say the punchline. Everyone over 40 gets it.

I've been accused of looking at my childhood through rose-colored glasses. That's probably true. Still, it's more fun to remember the good times. My worst times would be considered insignificant and lame compared to what many children experience.

It wasn't exactly Beaverland. For instance, my mother never vacuumed while wearing a dress and pearls. She was more likely to put on lively music and dance around. My father didn't sit around in a suit and tie while reading the paper. He was more likely to take me to dance rehearsal or roll on the floor with the dog.

They didn't go to business dinners or evening affairs. We ate dinner together. This doesn't mean they didn't have a social life. While we rugrats were running around the neighborhood, they gathered on a porch. (We didn't care what they were doing as long as they left us alone.)

My parents still gather with the neighbors. I don't know if they sit on the porch but I know they have a standing game night. I'm a little jealous.

So, here I go again with rose-colored glasses...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I have never heard the "Beaver" joke. It made me laugh. Good to be reminded about the Clever clan. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

For a kid who grew up on "Mayberry" Street you told an interesting joke.

janis said...

I never heard this joke either!

Today I hung out with old friends at a graduation party. I so miss hanging out with friends! It seems like I always did when my kids were little playing with friends. Especially in the neighborhood! They played the same silly games we did, like kick ball & ghost in the graveyard. I never see any of the kids today doing this. What has happen to outside play? I loved hanging out till the street lights came on. And always knowing that if my Mom didn't see me, Sandy, Patsy, or Barb were sure to. It kept us behaved knowing that they all watched over us and refused to look the other way if we were into mischief.