Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Continuity & Things that Don't Make Sense

One of my friends is a retired filmmaker. He would let me visit the set and I was always struck by the attention to detail. If you shoot a scene four times or fifty times, the crew is responsible to make sure little things like the position of the plates or the clothing is exactly as it was before.

Watching the same movies over and over helps me relax. I have no idea why. If I'm really jittery, I start to notice the continuity problems. For instance:

One of the opening scenes in Erin Brockovich shows her crushing a cigarette with her CFM shoes. You never see her with a cigarette for the rest of the movie. I want that plan.

Toward the end of Sleepless in Seattle, Meg Ryan's character checks into The Plaza with her fiance and then ends up holding hands with Tom Hanks at the top of the Empire State Building. Do they stroll back to The Plaza, arm in arm, to collect her belongings?

When Baby steps in for the dancer in Dirty Dancing, all of a sudden she has tights and rehearsal wear. (Plus silver dancing shoes.) How did she know to pack these items? She and the other girl are not the same size.

Other times, when I see a movie for the first time, I get so distracted with the clothing and house decor that I forget to follow the plot. Just another quirk of mine. Whenever I watch A Perfect Murder, I want to steal Gwyneth Paltrow's wardrobe. I lose sight of the fact that she's married to a murderer; I want that coat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot watch a movie with Nick because he is so tuned in to details and picking everything apart that I cannot stand it. As you might guess, he is not much of a movie person. It is fun to notice some of the things you are talking about. Patsy