Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Fallen Hero (of Mine)

If you have no interest in politics or journalism, this will bore you. If you have the tiniest inkling of curiosity about the machinery of government or political candidates or what's going on in the Senate ... we all lost an ally yesterday.

As a news junkie, I often struggle to understand what I'm reading or hearing. "Meet the Press" is must-see TV for me. If I have other plans, I TIVO it.

About 3pm yesterday, I heard that Tim Russert had collapsed and died. I cried. I felt like I lost a friend and mentor. More than that, I lost a hero. I knew he was a great family man. I knew he was a superb journalist. I had no idea of the sense of loss I would experience. I did not know this man personally. But he sure knew me. He knew what questions to ask to get to the heart of the matter. He knew what this middle-aged, Midwestern woman wanted to know and that was usually his next question. He knew how to take the polls and the stats, reduce them to something real, and make me understand.

His dad advised him years ago, and I'm paraphrasing, "Don't talk the lingo. Don't try to sound smart. Talk to me."

I've watched far more of the coverage than any normal person would do. As a self-diagnosed, mildly autistic person, I like to see things over and over.

Like me, he had nicknames for everyone. It was clear this man was adored. Everyone from the President of the United States to movers and shakers in Washington to fellow journalists have paid tribute. I hope he knows how much this Midwestern woman admired him too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute to Tim Russert. I too felt a strong loss when I heard the news. I began watching him on Sunday morning Meet the Press several years ago. I felt for once, finally, someone can help educate me on US politics and make it easy and fun to learn.

He always seemed like such a down to earth person--- no wonder such high powered politicans liked and respected him. He was always on his game and I was in awe of how well he was prepared for each interview. I think he knew more about them than they knew of themselves. Nobody got a get out of jail free card for any of his interviews.

It was obvious how much of a family man he was and how much he loved his Dad and son.

What a tremendous loss. My political knowledge will suffer greatly.

Again-- thanks for remembering him on your blog.


Rich

janis said...

I agree. You know I need things explained in laymans terms, so I appreciated him tremendously.

There are few Reporters I can sit through a long period and listen to, he will be missed.

I do think that this was an eye opener for many. Sergio has vowed to take better care of himself and follow his doctor instructions better. He feels it could have been him, they were quite a match medically speaking.

You wrote a beautiful tribute that says what so many of us feel about Tim Russert