Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bittersweet




Today is Jan's birthday! I hope she listens to Lynrd Skynrd. I hope she knows that she is one of the most treasured people in my life.

On her birthday eve, I was listening to music and the husband was trying to figure out chords on the piano. Time flew by and the next thing I knew, it was 11:15 or so. At night! (I am the Queen of early to bed, early to rise.) Then it became a mission -- I will stay awake until midnight so I can call Jan.

I have my own special ring tone on her phone. She always knows it's me. Here I'm thinking I'll just leave her a sweet birthday message but SHE SLEEPS WITH THE PHONE AT HER EAR! Instead of voicemail, I hear, "Hi Sheri, What's wrong? You never call me at midnight." I felt kind of stupid saying, "I just wanted to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday."

The bittersweet part is that today is also Patsy's birthday. I still miss her. It's one of those aches that will never go away, although the pain has changed from stabbing to a dull throb.

The photo above was taken at the beginning of my sophomore year of college. We're not discussing how many years ago that was. We're upbeat. It's our birthday week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend, Patsy Heyleman, who died twelve years ago and I still miss her. Time does heal but the memories remain. Patsy

janis said...

I love this picture! Thank you! I was worried, you never call @ midnight. You were the first to wish me a happy birthday.

For the record, I do not sleep with the phone at my ear, just on my night stand. With the girls 17 & 19 I want to be available.

I am so sorry that this day makes you sad too. I never knew that Patsy shared my birthday.

Enjoy the rest of Birthday week. Yours will be here in just a couple of days & then we will celebrate in just 6 more days for the WHOLE WEEKEND with our our Deb.

Have a great day soul sister!