Friday, October 10, 2008

The Party

The husband is out of town and I am so sorry he will miss the party of the season. It's not black tie. In fact, most participants (including me) will be in jeans and t-shirts.

Other than paying for fried chicken, I'm pretty sure no one will ask anyone for money.

This weekend, we will gather in my childhood neighborhood. I will greet people who helped raise me and I will see people who have been there my entire life. I will laugh with people that I have played tag, hide and seek and spin the bottle. I will see children -- now grown -- that I used to babysit.

I love tradition. I am comforted by routine. I love it that my parents still live in my childhood home. It looks completely different and my room is no longer my room but the heart warming feeling of walking in there is still there. I love it that the same neighbors still live next door and across the street.

I attend lots of parties. Everything from black tie fundraisers to simple dinner parties with friends and I know what to wear and which persona to present. Tomorrow, I'm going to the party of the season and I get to just be me.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

And one night a year your room is my room. I love that.

Have fun in the 'hood.

Anonymous said...

I too am looking forward to this!

I need glasses damnit!

I need to give in-- visit an eye doctor and find out were my perfect vision went.

I finally gave in and bought reading glasses and this has now made me more dependent on reading fine print than befor. Now I feel I need bifocals-- I keep the glasses on but get seasick looking over the top to watch TV and go back to the computer/reading.

How did this happen? I thought perfect vison was supposed to gradually wean to this and not slam shut so quickly.

Now I understand why at Sam's Club they sell these reading glasses in a three pack!

Enough of my whining and see you at the picnic.

Anonymous said...

Sorry-- did not sign off.

Best regards---Rich