Friday, October 3, 2008

Whores

Why don't we ever call men whores? I've known a few who have done everything short of selling their soul.

Years ago, when someone would ask a friend of mine what she did for a living, she would respond, "I'm an art whore." She's probably the most talented artist and creative person I've worked with but I loved it that she put it out there like that.

I've never been a traditional whore but I've been a writing whore. I've written flattering profiles of abysmal people because I was paid to do so. I've written speeches on subjects that I totally disagreed with. I got paid. I've written brochure copy for products that I don't trust. In my corporate days, I often gave little pep talks to the team, all the while knowing some bad stuff was coming.

I am a whore no more.

2 comments:

janis said...

I have called Countless men "Whore Dogs". One of my favorite terms and only got me in trouble once.

One of my daughters is a Shoe Whore. I just mean it as she LOVES Shoes!

Anonymous said...

When it comes to advertising sales we've all been whores. Maybe not ina bad way but it's gotten the job done (I don't mean sexual favores to get the job). I just mean putting on the charm to sell something. Kim