Friday, October 17, 2008

Weight and Mothers

This is an observation and most definitely NOT a dig at mothers.

During my childhood, several of my friend's mothers struggled with their weight, including my own mother.

There's an old saying, "If you want to know what your wife will look like in 20 years, look at her mother." I wish that were true. I would be beautiful.

But I stood next to two friends last weekend while we celebrated our childhood and it struck me that we were the smallest women in the yard. One has birthed two children, one has birthed three. One of my mother's best jokes is she's still trying to lose her pregnancy weight -- I'm 45.

Sometimes we choose to emulate our mothers. I try. Right after, "What would Jesus do?," I ask myself, "What would my mother tell me to do?" Other times, we go to the opposite extreme. It's a little like saying, "I'm not you and you can't make me."

4 comments:

janis said...

Although I do not look like my Mother, I favor my father. I like to think that I have my Mother's kind heart.

I find your comment about telling mom, "you can't make me". To that I say ..hahahaha. She sure can! At least make you think really hard about it :)
What is the quote on the hand towel she gave you? "I smile because you are my daughter, I laugh because there isn't anything you can do about it."

Sandy said...

Thanks to Patsy...she found that towel in Nashville. She bought one for Kim also. It just seemed to be the perfect sentiment.

Anonymous said...

Everytime someone tells Kelly she looks just like me, I tell her to say "thank you,I certainly hope so". She then whispers to me I may look like you, but I will never dress like you. I then remind her she is 23 and I am...well, older than her. The few clothes I have I dont want to share. Besides, Victoria's Secret underware is not meant for women my age. Butt floss is not for me.

janis said...

I may be old, but I love my butt floss!