Friday, October 3, 2008

Peggy Lynn


There is a fourth goldie. Or, she was supposed to be. The goldies call each other, text and email. We are not afraid to say, "I am in my closet and I am scared about my life" Until the other night, I had not spoken to Lynn in 25 years or so.

So I answered the phone to hear, "Hi Sher, it's Lynn." (Very few people call me Sher." Just hearing her voice sent me over the moon.)

I couldn't put a sentence together or gather a coherent thought. I kept picturing us in high school. I was so busy with memory lane that I could not concentrate.

She was the smartest person I knew in high school; she skipped graduation ceremonies.
She was the first person I knew to get a tattoo.
She was the first person I knew to have a baby out of wedlock, even though I personally took her for birth control.
She was the first person I ever knew to steal a car (her parents) and wreck it.
She left a toilet on my parents' lawn. Her sense of humor was contagious.


In our brief conversation, she still managed to shock me:
She does not have a computer, therefore no email.
She does not have a cell phone.
She only gives her phone number to trusted people. (I have it.)

Here's the kicker: she told me she named her second son after my father. For someone who did not spawn a boy, he seems to have a lot of people name their sons after him. She also asked, by name, about my mother. I could not tell you her parent's names if you threatened to pluck my fingernails out.

Jan and I are having lunch with her on Sunday. I cannot wait. I wish Deb would get on a plane and come along.

4 comments:

janis said...

HaHa! I called Deb & asked her if she had plans this weekend. ThenI asked her to fly in tohave lunch w/ us. I even promised to fill my tank BEFORE going to pick her up @ the airport (inside joke). She said she doubt if she'd make it. I threatened to tape her picture to a chair & call her while we were @ lunch.

I can't wait too. I am so glad I have hooked us up, it will be wonderful.
Rich is invited too... you better come Rich ~ I know you are reading this!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great opportunity for the oldies! I too wish that Deb could be there, I saw Lynn last Saturday and she hasn't changed a bit. To bad that Deb can't come to the reunion so we can all recall old times. Kim

Anonymous said...

I remember Lynn scored a HUGE number on the SAT's without even trying.

I saw her at the Howe alumni reunion and as usual-- she was classic Lynn.

See you Sunday and I know you will have a blast reuniting with Lynn.

Rich

Anonymous said...

I recognized Lynn as soon as I looked at the picture. She was a sweetheart and a free spirit. I liked her. Patsy