Thursday, June 21, 2007

Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia

If you cannot see the occasional humor in illness, please do not read this. Check in tomorrow. You have been warned.

Have you ever thought about which is the worst case scenario of losing your body versus losing your mind? I've witnessed both and I still haven't decided. (I'm pretty sure I don't get to choose.)

One of my friends has a mother in the Alzheimer's unit at a local home. She often says, "Thanks for visiting me -- whoever you are." God bless her; she chuckles all the way to the car.

Her mother is a retired nurse. When some bizarre aide started shaving her private parts, she announced, "They're prepping me for surgery." She has another friend on the Alzheimer's wing who has two ceramic dogs looking out the window. She puts food out for them every day. She's very concerned that the dogs aren't eating.

Other friends have parents with the sharpest minds and crumbling bodies. This is equally cruel.

I'm no angel but I do give money and time to various charities. I give most to those associated with elder care issues.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

As you know this subject is close to my heart. A sense of humor is about the only way we can handle it.

Anonymous said...

Can someone tell me what my name is? I forgot...

Anonymous said...

Great stuff!