Sunday, June 3, 2007

Loving Big, Black Dogs

There's an article in People Magazine about aversions to big, black dogs. According to the article, they are less likely to be adopted from a shelter and more likely to be euthanized.

I'm the proud owner of a big, black dog (BBD) and she's not my first. My BBD is still a puppy and therefore, crazy. She is also loving, loyal and fun. The article suggests that it's harder to read expressions on these dogs and that makes them less appealing. Not so. I can't speak for every breed, but my BBD lets me know what she needs.

Even the oldies put up with my BBD. I catch the mother-in-law trying to play fetch with the tennis ball or slipping her ice, which the dog thinks is the biggest treat in the world.

My BBD thinks she's a lapdog. I have the bruises to prove it.

No comments: