Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Band Widow

The husband has been part of a rock and roll band for more than 25 years. This is an esteemed group of people who all have prestigous jobs and families. The Meatball Band has survived marriages, divorces, parents, children, etc. Some members have come and gone but the core group and their core passion remains. They've developed a following. They've played in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm a band widow. By definition, that means I dance with my girlfriends or other friends' husbands. I don't have a date because my date is on the stage. (Sometimes I get really madcap and dance with strangers. I'm pretty safe; my husband is right there.)

They even have some groupies. What's up with that?

They play private parties and public venues. When they play in a public place, there is often a cover charge (which goes to the house and the band.) My standard response is, "No, thank you. I gave my pound of flesh at home." They always let me through.

It's fun to have people in your family with musical talent. I have zero. Sometimes the mother-in-law plays the piano. The husband plays the piano a lot. Sometimes we just dance on our patio.

Being a band widow is a pretty small price to pay for someone who sings and dances with you.

No comments: