Wednesday, June 20, 2007

To Feel Like a Man

The oldies called from the road last night. Even when they're out of town, I have duties. He forgot his money so I need to deposit the funds.

I'm trying to figure this out. My brain just won't go there. He never leaves home without her, the husband or me. He's legally blind; he couldn't read a bill or count cash if he had to. Why does he have money? The only explanation I can fathom is that she's still trying to make him feel like a man, whatever that means.

After 60-plus years of marriage, old habits die hard. She has handled the finances for years. She makes the decisions, although she always consults with him. She's sly. After consulting, she does it her way. Somehow, she always makes him feel like it was his idea. This looks exhausting to me.

He is a man. He's a man who has no business with a stash of cash.

No comments: