Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Country Club

We belong to a private club. It's nice but it's not that swanky. We belong for two reasons: we truly like most of the people and Big Daddy can play golf and cards anytime he wants. There used to be tax deductions available with our membership but Congess said, "No way-no more."

I don't play golf anymore. The husband plays enough for both of us. Now one of my goddaughters has taken up golf and wants me to play with her. I'll dust off my clubs.

The other night, we participated in an Alzheimer's benefit at the Club. In our group, we collectively gave well over $6000. That was the early count; I suspect the final number will be much higher.

The oldies love the club. We've started a little ritual on Sunday night. We partake in the fried chicken buffet and the father-in-law can have as many desserts as he wants. (I, of course, cannot witness this.)

Like all private clubs, there are some snooty people. My friend (and almost 5-year old) muse dumped a bucket of water on one of the snobby ladies the other day at the pool. In reward, his grandfather put a bunch of money in his college fund.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

As you must know, I don't like snobby things. But your club experience seems right! You rich people are supposed to be involved in benefits. What would we do without you?

When somebody says to me "But you live in a gated community" I reply: It's a CONDO!