Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Rose-Colored World

The news is depressing, yet I'm a junkie. I want to know everything that's going on. I want it analyzed. I enjoy throwing wadded-up tissues at the screen when I disagree.

With that said, I'm reminded of a speech I heard many years ago. I'm paraphrasing, but it went something like this:

I don't want to look at the world through rose-colored glasses. I want the world to be rose-colored. I want the kids to play outside without fear. I want to be able to send cash in the mail. I want people to be nice. Nice should be the norm.

In many ways, I live in this rose-colored world. A nice neighborhood with people who look out for one another. A safe haven where it's not a catastrophe if I forget to lock a door.

The oldies lived in a small town in Mississippi. Their house was close to a busy intersection. (Our street has no traffic.) They often dealt with traffic, accidents, litter, crime and more. The seclusion here is soothing.

I warn them not to get too comfortable. All you have to do to confirm that is watch the news.

No comments: