Friday, June 1, 2007

Cell Phones: A Love/Hate Relationship

Do you know anyone who doesn't own a cell phone? Other than a few 5-year olds, I don't think I do. Mine is attached to me most of the time. I rarely turn it off. (A couple of years ago, it rang during Good Friday service at church and my girlfriend glared at me. Last week, it rang in the movie theater and my mother glared at me. I'm human! I forgot!)

Several years ago, when my mother first got a cell phone, she would forget to turn it on, forget to take it with her or let it be buried in her handbag. I used to leave hateful messages like, "Hello! Your bag is ringing! Pick up!" Now I can usually reach her. Anytime the oldies leave the house, I make sure they have the cell phone. She still can't check the voicemail so you have to call repeatedly.

I can track down the husband if I need him. I can usually track down the kids and even if they don't answer, they both call back immediately. It's a luxury and a relief, especially with one headed off to college and one living in another city.

That's the love part. Here's the hate:

Sometimes you just don't want to be found. There might be an opportunity for a quiet moment or you might be truly involved in something else. It's an interruption. I have started new rules for myself, like not answering when I'm brainstorming or writing. It doesn't work. Even if I put it in another room, I still hear it. Like Pavlov's dog, I run to see who's calling. I'm trained.

When I was a teenager, we didn't have cell phones. We didn't even have cordless phones. Some of my friends still had party lines. I'll never forget the day my friend (J) got her driver's license. She showed up at the front door, waved it in front of me and we bolted. Freedom!!! I don't remember what we did, where we went or any other details. I remember we were gone for seven or so hours. It was a rite of passage, much to the dismay of my parents. Kids today don't get to experience that -- as a parent, I'm glad -- but I get a little nostalgic thinking of that time. Ha Ha! You can't find us!

1 comment:

Jan said...

Oh My Gosh! I, (J), remember that day like it was yesterday! Your Mom looked terrified, as I waved the license in the air, yelling, "come on, lets go!!" I would have died if my girls or their friends tried that today. Fortunately, we have that sweet 90 day rule now, so these kids get some experience before allowed passengers. About the cell phones, my girls have to send me a text from point A to point B. Usually it is just a one word text like, "here", "leaving", but gives me peace of mind. No freedom for these babies!!!