Thursday, June 21, 2007

Announcements and Invitations

The baby recently graduated from high school. His other mother and I each sent announcements to our family and friends. (It sounds like we're gay but we just share a child.)

I'm perplexed at the number of people who don't understand an announcement. I learned from my mother and Emily Post that invitations are inviting you to something and announcements are announcing a life change. I receive baby announcements -- I was not invited to the birth.

When the husband and I got married umpteen years ago, we sent announcements. Most of our friends and family had witnessed previous ceremonies. No gift needed -- just an fyi that something has changed.

I'm getting less formal but I still refer to my friend, Emily Post. Of course, I always check with my mother.

1 comment: