Monday, June 11, 2007

The Royals

We're coming up on the 10th anniversay of Princess Diana's death. (Pardon the aside, but where did that decade go?) I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. With the time difference, her death was announced on the Baby's birthday.

I was obsessed with Princess Grace. I'm still fascinated with her family -- they are wild and madcap. Is Albert gay? (I know he keeps fathering children but I'm still not convinced.) Did Caroline recover from the death of her husband? I know she moved on to that Spanish guy with another title, but they don't look very happy to me. Will Stephanie have a happy life or will she continue to date/marry bodyguards and Carribean Joes?

What happened to Prince William and Kate? Is Prince Harry going to Iran/Afghanistan or not? How will they protect him? Why this is important to me is beyond logic.

When Diana and Charles were married, I was planning my own wedding. She was my idol. I dragged myself out of bed to watch every moment of it. In her honor, I also dragged myself out of bed to watch her funeral procession. That card on top of the flowers, with the inscription, "Mummy," did me in. Also, the speech by her brother...

Now Princes William and Harry are grown. Charles has married Camilla, along with her endless supply of bad clothing and bad hats. I adored Diana but I suspect that he and Camilla are a better fit. The Queen seems to have accepted her. I don't believe that Prince Phillip has a lot of pull in these discussions.

Do you ever look back? I can't imagine living life under this worldwide microscope.

I would never second-guess God, but I'm pretty sure he was busy with something else. I was meant to be a Royal.

5 comments:

Abby Marmion said...

I have a lot of thoughts on this. I too, awoke at "0 dawn hundred" to pay tribute and watch the funeral. When I saw the initial news coverage, I "knew" she was dead. Sheri, I think you and I spoke numerous times during the procession. I remember exactly where I was when this all took place.

I have ordered the new Princess Di book -- it recd. great reviews. Something about that family is so intruiging.

If you are interested in "Di" you must watch the Queen DVD with Helen Mirin (spelling?). It's the perfect movie for a lazy weekend afternoon.

Who knows what happened with Kate Middleton? I thought that would be a marriage for sure. An, regarding the young one going off to the military, not only am I worried about protecting him -- but more so -- what about his entire platoon (sorry -- this sounds like Gomer Pyle), batallion (not sure what the proper term is?)? They all become at risk too.

Thanks for all the interesting opinions we share. Abby

Anonymous said...

test test

Anonymous said...

Ok, I too, rose at the crack of dawn to pay my respects to Di -- and remember vividly where I was when she died. Sher, I think you and I spoke on the phone numerous times during her funeral procession. I am enthralled with the royals.

Regarding Kate Middleton, I thought that was a done deal. Very surprising.

Regarding the little one -- not only do I have concern for his safety as a member of the royal army, but for the safety of his entire platoon (sorry, Gomer Pyle)/whatever it is called today.

Abby

Anonymous said...

I am convinced that Harry does not belong to Prince Charles. He is adorable, but he did not come from Charles' loins. His "real" father (and we all know who he is) can deny it all he wants, but I'm not buying it. I hope the little guy will be safe. He looks like a very likeable guy.

Anonymous said...

I think your blog material is very interesting and very funny. I like what #1 Fan wrote too.

I an not interested in thinking about what Charles' loins are like -- in any way, shape or form.

Camilla needs to stop wearing those bad hats.

Abby