Sunday, August 19, 2007

Comings and Goings

The daughter and her boyfriend are in town for the weekend. I'm thrilled and the husband is positively giddy. Fathers and daughters have a magical connection. I respect it. I understand it; I feel the same way about my dad. Then I feel a little sad. My dad and I see a lot of each other because we live in the same town. Big Daddy and the daughter don't have this option right now but they're very good about phone calls and texting. It's not the same as getting a hug from your dad.

All of the extended family will be here tonight. We're honoring the daughter's visit home and having a little salute to the baby as he heads off to college tomorrow. I'm trying to live in the moment and enjoy it instead of preparing for my impending sadness when everyone leaves.

When we remodeled this house, we should've put in a revolving door. Like Dorothy said in The Wizard of Oz, "People come and go so quickly around here." The oldies are always a little jarred by this fact. I don't know when this is going to sink in with them. It could be my parents or a girlfriend who stops by. It could be houseboy. It could be a service person. It could be a work-related meeting. Big Daddy could invite people over for a drink. It could be an impromptu party.

Tonight will be delightful. Tomorrow, I will be a puddle on the floor.

No comments: