Friday, August 10, 2007

Gray Areas

Indiana was once again featured in a little segment on the Today Show this morning. Clarian Health has instituted a new policy where they will fine employees with unhealthy lifestyles. Overweight? Smoke? High Blood Pressure? High Cholesterol? You will be fined. I'm oversimplifying but that's the gist of the concept.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The next segment was a priest who is instituting a new policy in his parish. If you have children in the catholic school system and receive the monetary waiver as a member, you must attend mass or pay a fine. If you go on vacation, you can bring the bulletin from whatever mass you attended and you'll be ok.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I have friends and a husband who do a lot of work in the health care world. I know the system is broken and we are all spending b'jillions of dollars unnecessarily. Yet, there's a part of me that says this is private. This is my choice.

It's kind of like abortion. I've never had one. Never even been in that situation. (Thank you God!) But, I have a HUGE problem with a bunch of people telling me what I can do with my body.

If I understand it correctly, our health care system is failing. People feel entitled. Diabetes is rampant. People are living longer, with major health issues.

All of the candidates seem to reduce it to a sound bite. No one has given a proposal that outlines solutions.

The husband and I are both Baby Boomers. The oldies are WWII veterans with lots of issues and lots of medical needs.

Is there a solution? I don't want Big Brother living in my house or looking over my shoulder.

I'm very clear on how I feel about that.

No comments: