Thursday, August 16, 2007

I Double Dog Dare You

As a child, the dare is more than a challenge. It's a little thrilling and very scary. We always took the dare. The other kids were probably brave; I was just terrified that someone might beat me up.

(Once, I told my mother that someone had threatened to hit me. She told me that if I did not hit them back (HARD!) she would have to hit me when I got home. It was a dare and I think I grew a spine that day.)

I've strapped skis to my feet and rolled down a mountain. I jumped off the second level of some boat in the Pacific Ocean because my friend dared me. I've taken a shot of tequila and let some Mexican man twirl me like a baton. Guess why? Someone dared me.

I'm still prissy but the dare has provided some great adventures and memories in my life.

When my mind goes to the dark, dreaded place, I want to give the oldies a dare. I'll be kind. It might be, "I dare you to stay out of bed for the entire day." Or, "I dare you to go an entire day without frying something." Or, "I dare you to let the mail stay in the mailbox for an hour." If I get really wacky, I'll double dog dare them.

No comments: