Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Jury Duty

There's so much going on in the world that I don't understand. I stay in my little coccon. Then, I get summoned for jury duty.

I am one of those odd people that ejoys it. It is my civic duty. People complain about waiting around. I think, "Yes! No cell phones allowed and I can read my book." I am called every year.

Sometimes I am dismissed immediately. The daughter is an attorney and she used to work for the prosecutor's office. The defense gives me the evil eye and says, "bye bye!" One of the questions they always ask is if you know any attorneys or judges. Due to Big Daddy's connections, I know quite a few.

Yet, occasionally, I make it to the jury. This is so fascinating to me. I love the process and I truly (maybe stupidly) feel like I am serving the common good. Plus, it's just good information. Once, I was jury foreman. You know how I like to be in charge.

Do you know what crack cocaine looks like? I do. They passed it around the jury box as evidence. Do you know the going rate for sexual acts on the street? I do. The accused spelled it out for us during the trial.

Then, I slither back into my safe little world ... no crack cocaine, no meth labs, no money paid for sexual favors. After jury duty, a house filled with clutter and oldies who are cranky seems like heaven on earth.

No comments: