Thursday, August 9, 2007

Don't Leave Me in the Car

When I was growing up, we had never heard of car jacking. Kidnappings were between rare and never. Seatbelts and car seats were optional. Helmets for a neighborhood bicycle ride did not cross our mind. Parents kept us safe but a lot has changed in how that is defined in the past few decades.

In those days, it was not unusual to lock the car door and leave a child (for a few moments) while you ran in to pick up dry cleaning or paid for gas. I am not talking about babies. Children who can walk, talk, scream, etc. could handle three minutes alone in the locked car. No one does this anymore but at the time, it was not abnormal.

I hated being left in the car. I usually misbehaved and got out anyway. I would go searching for my parent.

"Stay" didn't work with me and it doesn't work with the puppy. Yesterday, I called ahead so I could pick up something at the drug store. The entire transaction would take 30 seconds. I had the correct change. So, I left the puppy in the car, with the window rolled down about 1/3 of the way. The next thing I know, the dog is standing beside me in the drug store.

I should've scolded her but I understand the concept. As Big Daddy always tells me, I've somehow managed to adopt a dog with my personality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If i may elaborate on this subject a little. I don't remember ever leaving you in the car because you would throw a fit and cry and plead with me not to leave you by yourself. I always gave in because I could see how frightened you were. However, one day your father left you in his truck while he went in the drugstore, in spite of your crying and pleading for him not to. When you two came home, you were so angry with him. You were still crying, and he basically told you to get over it. See--I wasn't ALWAYS the mean mom.
Love,
Mom

cecily crossman said...

Well I'm glad mom straightened that out!

I don't ever want to be the one waiting in the car. I want to be the one doing something in the drug store.