Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What You Tell Parents

Every once in a while, I manage to make my mother speechless. This is not an easy task.

She was totally hands-on. She was the one with the flashlight, checking my eyes. She was the one who enforced the rules. She was the one who challenged me and guess what? I love a challenge.

Please don't misunderstand. I have (almost) always been a law-abiding citizen. I have (almost) always been a good girl. I have (almost) always made the sane and logical choice.

But, not always.

When I was about 25 or 30, I started to drop little things in our conversations. I would confess things about my teenage years or my college days. Her version of the girl she knew was altered.

These days I tell her everything. I'm just blah, blah, blah. Sometimes she's appalled. Other times, I'm appalled. "What do you mean you've never done that?"

I don't share quite as much with the oldies but living together does lead to strange conversations. My adventures seem tame compared to WWII or raising four boys. I can mesmerize her with tales of my high school and college days. I can make her laugh with some of the trips (and escapades) that the husband and I have shared.

When the daughter graduated from undergraduate school, she started to share more with us. Then after law school, we learned a lot. It's a parental safety zone after you've finished college.

Now the baby is in college. I'll hear some stories here and there. In about 6 or 7 years, I'll get the real scoop.

No comments: