Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pa Comes to Visit

One of our bedrooms has served many purposes. It's been a guest room. It was the daughter's room for a short period while she was in law school. Now, it's the oldies' room.

For people living in that room, they can change it or decorate it to their heart's content. I have a few photos on the wall that have stayed ... until now.

There's a great photo of my grandfather (the sane one, not Wild Bill) that has been in there forever. He's in full military uniform. He's young. He's handsome.

I came home from a trip a few weeks ago and that photo was propped on my bedroom mantel. I didn't think much about it. Maybe Big Daddy moved it. Maybe it fell down and no one knew where to put it.

Tonight I was sitting on the patio with the mother-in-law. Out of the blue, she said, "That man hasn't been coming around anymore." I am totally clueless. Is it houseboy? Is it my father? Is she stroking? I took a deep breath and asked the dreaded question -- "What man?"

Her response was, "The man in the photo. He kept appearing in our room so I took the photo down and put it in your bedroom."

I choose to believe he was looking for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this gave me goosebumps.