Saturday, August 11, 2007

Date Night

All of the TV and newspaper therapists seem to recommend date night as a way to stay connected or reconnect with your spouse. The husband and I have never lacked a social life but sometimes we fail to carve out time for just the two of us.

We don't have a standing date night or anything official. Occasionally, he will say, "Let's go out tonight -- just you and me." I swoon.

Sometimes date night doesn't go so well. It's tempting to save up all the family issues/work issues/to do list stuff and dump it on the spouse the moment you have his attention. Trust me ... this does not make for a romantic evening. It's also tempting to try to offer solutions when all the spouse wants to do is vent and feel supported and valued. I'm still learning this lesson. So is the husband.

The oldies don't have Date Night. It would be a little redundant since they never leave each other's side.

Big Daddy and I had a date last night. We laughed. We talked about everything we've experienced. We had a great time bragging to each other about the kids and their accomplishments. We traipsed down memory lane. We spent some of the time discussing a woman he dated before me. I reminded him that on our first "official" date, I told him he could date me or he could date around. He made a choice. He reminded me that he is the best thing that ever happened to me. (He's a little cocky.)

We fell asleep holding hands. Date Night is a good thing.

No comments: