Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Self-Absorbed

My friend, BB, is a regular reader of my blog/brog. She doesn't have Internet access so it must be printed out for her. It is highly flattering to me that she cares enough to read it.

A few weeks ago, she went with some girlfriends to Branson, Missouri -- one of my worst nightmares. During the trip, she was reading some of the blog entries aloud. (Oh, to have been able to eavesdrop on that!) A woman commented that the writer seems pretty self-absorbed. Remember the child on the playground who would get irritated and say, "It's my ball and I'm taking it home?" Same concept. She refused to share any more. If possible, I love her even more for jumping to my defense.

Here's the reality: I am slightly self-absorbed. Writing about my life and living with the oldies requires sharing my thoughts and my feelings. So, the lady was probably right. It is about me, me, me.

Self-absorbed is an ok thing. I think we need more of it. Women need to be more self-absorbed. The world functions better when women take care of their health and their mental state. Sometimes that requires a little introspection.

This is different than self-centered, although I have been there too. Remember, I'm an only child and it took me a few years/decades to realize that the world did not revolve around me. (The Unabomber is 84-years old and he has yet to figure this out.)

It comes back to the neighborhood of my childhood. These people have watched me grow up along side their own children. They've loved me and they've disciplined me. They've known my sweet side and my bratty side. I've annoyed them and I've adored them. I've never doubted their affection. I have a pseudo sister. I also have lots of pseudo parents.

When the baby was little, I would kneel with him as he said his prayers, "Now I lay me down to sleep ..." When we got to the part of, "Please bless and protect so and so," the list became endless. One night, he looked at me and said, "I have so many people who love me!"

It's a pretty cool feeling.

No comments: