Friday, August 17, 2007

Motorcycles

To use a crossword puzzle word, I am "afeard" of motorcycles.

My dad had a bad experience in his youth and it involved a motorcycle. My friend (J) has lived her entire life with a father who was physically and mentally impaired due to a horrific motorcycle accident.

When the husband and I lived in our old house, the extremely wooded back yard butted up to a busy intersection. One night we heard the screech of tires, the scream of the sirens, etc. We ran to our little forest. There was a man who had skated through the intersection on his motorcycle and was lofted into one of our trees. He died.

Even after that experience, Big Daddy occasionally mentions wanting a motorcycle. He had one in his youth. I don't put my foot down about a lot of things but this is not going to happen.

(J) is married to a man with a motorcycle. They stopped by a few months ago and SHE WAS NOT WEARING A HELMET. Well, trust me. I read her the riot act. "What are you thinking?" I'm just grateful that she tolerates me.

Due to my father's accident and my mother's protective nature, I was forbidden to get on a motorcycle in my youth. Once (just once!) I broke the rule and went for a little spin with one of the neighborhood guys. I probably had a crush on him. I wore a helmet and we were very safe. My thought process was that I could do this and be home before the parents came home from work.

Then we pulled up to a stop light and my mother was in the car next to us. I was in BIG TROUBLE. It's almost 30 years later but I think I'm still grounded.

1 comment:

janis said...

You are so right... I should wear a helmet. Now I fear my girls will ride without one. My oldest is terrified of them like you. She will probaly never ride. My youngest... just hasnt had the opportunity, she does wear when she has ridden with her Dad. Just a reminded to rest your mind, we sold the bike a few months ago. I promise not to ride over without again!