Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Going to the Dogs

Dog love is part of my genetic makeup. I can’t help it. I am crazy about them and there have been very few periods in my life where I didn’t own a dog.

When I was a very little girt (5) I begged my parents for a dog. My mother had a bad experience in her childhood and was definitely not interested in becoming a dog owner. She made a deal with me: If I could find a dog (not a puppy) that was already housebroken, reasonably small and well behaved, I could have it. There was a stray in my grandmother’s neighborhood who met all the criteria. I won! She was probably the best dog ever. She lived until I was in college and by then, my mother was converted. (At one point my parents owned four dogs but now they’re down to two.)

The husband didn’t want a dog when we first got married. He wanted the freedom and flexibility of a pet-free life. So, I sort of tricked him. One day I asked him, “If we were to ever get a dog, what would you get?” He answered and we had a Black Lab puppy within the week. Surprise!

We had her for 12 great years. We spent countless dollars on her. When she died, my friend Abby had to scoop me off the floor of the Vet’s office and take me home.

I let the husband have his way for about a year. I hated every minute of it. I missed walking in the door and being greeted by a big sloppy dog kiss. The house just seemed too clean without dog hair to sweep up. We had many discussions about it. He loved that year – I was miserable. So, once again, I broke the rules. I started investigating new dogs. I corralled the children. “Wouldn’t it be fun to have a new dog?” They (of course) were with me on that, even though they don’t live here anymore.

The husband was adamant that our life is already too full. We’ve got jobs. We’ve have a lot of activity in this house. The oldies don’t like big dogs. A puppy will knock them down. We’ll have to rearrange our schedules to take care of the dog. We can’t afford it. Why would we want to do this? All of my friends have dogs. Whenever possible, we include them. At the lake last week, you couldn't move from one room to another without a pack of four dogs under your feet. When the workout girls go to Phoenix, Big Sal's dogs are there and we happily snuggle with them. We move out of the way so Rudy can have his favorite spot on the sofa.

I got Gabby when she was 7 weeks old. She turned a year old in August. She is crazy about Big Daddy. She annoys the oldies but the mother-in-law spends an inordinate amount of time throwing the tennis ball. The Unabomber just says, “Go away dog!”

Lots of people have expressed feelings about dogs better than I ever could. Here are some of my favorite dog quotes:

"If there is no heaven for dogs, then I want to go where they go when I die."
Anonymous

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
Roger Caras

"I've seen a look in dogs’ eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts."
John Steinbeck

"The reason a dog has so many friends, is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue"
Anonymous

"A watchdog is a dog kept to guard your home, usually by sleeping where a burglar would awaken the household by falling over him."
Anonymous

"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."
Samuel Butler

"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
Rita Rudner

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
Billings

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Andrew A. Rooney

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."
Unknown

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
Edward Hoagland

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich."
Louis Sabin

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear."
Dave Barry

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
Ann Landers

"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe, we are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made."
Roger Caras

"A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk."
O. A. Battista

"A dog is man's best friend, and vice versa."
Anonymous

"There's just something about dogs that makes you feel good. You come home, they're thrilled to see you. They're good for the ego."
Janet Schnellman

"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
Anonymous

"It's no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk."
Anonymous

"A dog's bark may be worse than his bite, but it's never quite so personal"
Anonymous

"I can train any dog in 5 minutes. It's training the owner that takes longer."
Barbara Woodhouse

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
Robert Louis Stevenson

"You can’t keep a good man down -- or an over-affectionate dog."
Anonymous

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult."
Rita Rudner

"No animal I know of can consistently be more of a friend and companion than a dog."
Stanley Leinwoll

"When most of us talk to our dogs, we tend to forget they're not people."
Julia Glass

"Any time you think you have influence, try ordering around someone else's dog."
The Cockle Bur

"I have caught more ills from people sneezing over me and giving me virus infections than from kissing dogs."
Barbara Woodhouse

My mother thinks I have become one of those weird dog people. You know the type. Sort of like Shirley McClaine's character in Steel Magnolia's. Unfortunately, she's right. I drag my crazy dog everywhere. I'm happiest when she's lying on her pillow in my office or riding shotgun in my car. This is what happens when the children leave home...

1 comment:

janis said...

I am calling dibs on shotgun to Deb's now before Gabby! Unless you both want to watch me get car sick. I love the quotes!