Friday, October 19, 2007

Reprogram it, Unplug it or Kick it

In addition to the oldies' conspiracy to make me crazy, all electronics in this home have decided to turn against me as well. One issue or problem, I can handle. A wave of them is too much.

We have a newfangled, highly electronic washing machine which I usually love. The husband and the oldies have recently returned from traveling so there's lots of laundry to be done. The other day it just stopped. Lights were blinking but the door wouldn't open and the cycle wouldn't progress. Like most electronically-challenged people, I stood there punching buttons in frustration. No luck. I asked the husband to look at it. He punched some buttons and then decided he needed to go to the club to ponder it. (He probably wanted advice from his golf and card buddies.) Finally, I moved it out enough that I could crawl atop the sink, reach behind it and unplug it. (Hello Hernia!) Plugging and unplugging is the best option and it worked. All the electronics restarted and now it's working like a dream.

A client mentioned that she could not fax to me. I played with it and punched some buttons. Still no dial tone. So I moved the heavy (and full) file cabinets out from the wall so I could check all the various connections. (Hello Hernia!) I called the phone company. Eventually the mystery was solved. The phone cord had been severed; it looked like someone bit it. Logic tells me it was Gabby but I'm not ruling out the oldies because they will eat anything.

The cable company had to reprogram some of our cable boxes. Thankfully, that one was not my fault. There are still far too many remote controls around but I can work them all.

Now I'm told that I may be having email problems. I'm ready to throw the computer out the window. But, I would have to go pick it up and reprogram it.

I've courted enough hernias this week. I guess I'll just pick up the phone.

2 comments:

janis said...

I loved this! You are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I think that your probably fine with all of these electrical problems unless your hair dryer goes on the blink!