Saturday, October 27, 2007

An Open Book

Sometimes a friend or family member will say to me, "I need to tell you something but you can't tell anyone." That's clear enough. That's fair. And, I don't. I am a great keeper of secrets. Every once in a while, I will ask, "Can I tell the husband?" If they say "no," I don't.

Sometimes there's just normal banter and conversation. Then, someone will say to me, "You can't write about that." I usually respect this but I have been known to say to my mother or the husband, "You are not my editor. Don't tell me what I can write."

There are a few times when all deals are off. If your life is in danger, etc. Those are rare but they do happen.

The irony is not lost on me. I write every day about the husband, the children, the oldies and some of my quirkiest and weirdest experiences. I invite the comments.

I am an open book. But, I keep a few secrets up my sleeve.

No comments: