Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Real Wife

Some of us have been married more than once. It may not be something to be proud of but in my case (and the husband's) it's built a little character. There were lessons to be learned and I tried to pay attention.

Many years ago, a bunch of my college friends got together. People flew in from all over the country because this was our group. People were sharing photos of new children and spouses we'd never met. The man I married first was there and he and his wife had just married. Someone asked her, "Is this your first marriage?" Her husband, (my ex) said, "This is her only marriage."

It did not hurt my feelings. I thought it was classy. I wanted to pull her in a corner and say, "Aren't you blessed?"

I still keep in touch with his parents. Occasionally, I call or email him if something has happened to one of our college friends. His mother celebrated a big birthday last year; the husband and I were included. They took a huge family photo out on the porch and insisted that we were included.

She is his real wife. I was the starter package.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

For better or for worse, you know when you've got the real one.