Friday, October 19, 2007

Writers are Needy People

I've worked as a writer and a marketing person for more than 22 years. If you throw in my time in journalism school and even my time in high school (yearbook staff, etc.) and various other writing pursuits, you've added another 8 years. That's a long time.

It doesn't get any easier. And, I love to write. But there's a point where the paper leaves your hand or you hit "send" on the email and it's terrifying.

Marketing gives you a buffer. There's a team involved. If the client hates it, you can tell yourself that the design needs to be better or the account liaison could have presented it with more enthusiasm. When it's just words and someone has hired you to compose them, it's a little like saying, "Don't you think my baby is cute?" If you're going to continue, some thick skin needs to grow.

Personal writing is equally scary. There's no editor or client. It's throwing caution to the wind -- thoughts, emotions, and opinions are sent out for anyone and everyone to agree/disagree or maybe laugh at you.

I write every single day of my life. I am rarely without a notebook. In that unusual occasion, I have written ideas on ATM receipts, cocktail napkins, deposit slips, etc. Some of my copy is written for clients and a lot shows up on this blog. Other things get tucked in a notebook for future reference. Some items go in a journal that (hopefully) allows me to go back and achieve perspective.

So, I send copy to a client or I send a blog posting into cyberspace. Then I pace around, check email, and hope they thought the baby was cute.

When the oldies first joined us (23 months and two weeks ago,) she would ask me, "What do you do on the computer all day?"

I'm writing. That's who I am.

1 comment:

janis said...

I am fortunate to be someone that can read your writing everyday. Not just the blogs but the emails, and occasional snail mail that so few of us still believe in. It is the first thing I do in the morning. With coffee in hand, I check my emails, then your blogs. You make me smile & ready to start my day. God truly Blessed you with the gift of writing, and Blessed me to have you as a friend. Keep writing, it is who you are!