Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Play Dates

When the children are little, play dates are a way to socialize them and catch up with friends. The children run and romp. They throw sand in each other's faces. You wipe tears and you wipe noses. In a small way, you relive your own childhood.

Then, they grow up. They drive. They go to college. They move to a different city. They are VERY BUSY people who sometimes look at you like you're an idiot. They know it all. And in our smug little way, we enjoy their cockiness. We had a hand in this madness.

Some of us redirect this energy to our pets. My dog had two play dates over the weekend. Unfortunately, every time I put her in the car for more than 10 minutes, she thinks we're going to the lake. Bummer Baby, lake time is over for the season. But, this weekend was filled with play and friends. All of her doggie pals met us at the park and the dogs ran, swam in the creek and romped around. I got to visit with friends and get out of the house for a few hours.

I have adult play dates too. In the summer, Cocktail Corner at the pool is a standing weekend play date. On Monday nights, many of us meet at a local establishment (owned by a friend of ours) and we solve the problems of the world. I don't dread Mondays the way I used to. I look forward to the play date and the laughter.

No comments: