Friday, October 26, 2007

The Road Trip to See the Mansion

A friend of mine just moved. She and her husband have done very well for themselves and they just built a new house. It's not a house -- it's a mansion. I haven't seen it yet but I get regular emails about the progress and the stats. It sounds fabulous and I can't wait to see it. When I visit, I get my own wing.

I have known this friend forever. She's one of my Golden Girls. Her mom used to tell me a story of her 5th or 6th birthday party. Apparently, I cried because I didn't get the pink balloon. Go figure! I can still be reduced to tears if I don't get what I want.

Visiting will require an 8-plus hour road trip. I like to get on a plane, cross check and call forward, and simply get to my destination. The other Golden Girl insists that we drive. (By the way, we're not that old but they are my oldest friends and that qualifies them as Golden.) It's a lot of driving for a long weekend but we'll do it.

This is one of the most down-to-earth people I know. Plus, she has a gigantic heart. Their old house was only about 40 minutes from where the oldies used to live. Once we got the oldies settled here (1 year, 11 months and 2 weeks ago,) the mother-in-law had a freak out of things left in their old house. My friend took the time to go there, dig through cabinets and go through closets. She found everything on their list and shipped it here. This was way beyond the call of duty. At one point, she kept calling me to say, "I'm under the bed. Here's what I found. Do you think this is what they're searching for?" Eternal gratitude is not enough.

I don't like road trips beyond three hours. I get tired. My limbs start to ache. Two women alone makes my mother nervous so therefore, I get nervous. I'm a little more comfortable with my Big, Black Dog in the car. She's a sweetie but maybe it would deter someone from messing with us.

Thank Goodness, this wonderful woman is also a dog lover. She said, "Pick your dates and bring the Gabster." Her husband agreed to this. I'm pretty sure Big Daddy would not have done so.

So, there's a road trip in my future. She sent me an email this morning with various escapades about her dogs. Gabby will fit right in.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I wish you were getting on a plane instead of making the road trip.

janis said...

Road trips are the best! Need I remind Sandy the fun we had on the Road Trip to this Golden Gal's wedding? Sher & I (the other Goldie) had Sandy join us on this one. This is the absolute best talk time ever! This is the best singing time! This is the time when you really let it out. And the occassional, where the "F" are we? or Are we there yet, for Gods sake! is so hilarious. I hate getting on the plane w/ Sher, as she burries her nose into a book & doesnt come too until we land. She is too boring on a plane. The adventure w/ Gabby in tow is making me giddy just thinking about it. I can't wait to see the girlfriend, her family & yes the mansion. Although I may get scared in my wing and wander down to Sher's. Or just borrow Gabby or one of D's dogs for the night! Sandy, we can always drag you along on this 8 hour trip if you would like, but I already called shotgun!

Sandy said...

Jan,
I'm older now, and the big trucks on the highway make me very nervous. I did have fun on our trip to Debbie's wedding, but how is it that you remember the road trip part? Didn't you sleep most of the way?
Love,