Monday, October 1, 2007

My Little Corner

I will start this story by admitting that I am very spoiled. I like it that way.

There's a retail center very near my home. A small grocery, a dry cleaners, a meat market, a drug store, jewelry stores, a bank, a deli, a gas station. This is not a mall. It is truly an old-fashioned, neighborhood hub. I have some reason to frequent at least one of these establishments every day.

It's a little like Cheers,-- "Where everybody knows your name."

Last week, I dropped off a watch in the jewelry store. This is not a Rolex. It's a department store, medium-priced basic watch. I didn't feel like standing in line so I wrote my phone numbers on a napkin (from my handbag) and handed it to someone. They called 30 minutes later but I was headed out of town so I just picked it up today. No charge! I cannot believe how many times they have done that for me and the oldies. If I ever make any real money, I must go in there and buy some jewelry.

The husband bought me a beautiful platter for our anniversary a few years ago. The first time I destroyed it, the silver was dented. So, they sent it off to Italy to be repaired. The other day, I knocked it over and cracked the porcelain. I dropped it off today. Yep, they're sending it off to Italy. I'll get a new one -- no charge.

I popped in the meat market and left a list of things I'd like to pick up tomorrow. They'll have it all packaged and call me when it's ready to go.

The liquor store and the dry cleaners do not offer delivery service but they've both delivered to my home on more than one occasion.

I had to pick up a prescription for the husband and line was long, long, long. The pharmacist motioned to me and opened a new register.

I ran in the deli and told the owner I need a couple of quiches for later this week. She'll call me. She offered to deliver them but how spoiled can I be? I'll pick them up.

After all, I'm over in my little corner every day.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

These are the wonderful blessings of living in one place for a long time. These merchants being so nice to you must have something to do with YOU.