Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Rules that Stick

I grew up with LOTS of rules. I managed to break most of them during my teenage years. But at 4 or 5 years old, my mother's rule about crossing the street was drilled into me. That one stuck. I still obey it to this day:

Never cross the street unless you have enough time to fall down and get back up!

Every child on Pasadena Street knew this rule. I would grab their hand and say, "Wait! We don't have time to fall down and get back up."

I was in a little neighborhood near my home the other day. We were waiting to cross a busy street. Jan and her daughter both knew the rule.

I suspect there's an entire generation of children out there learning Sandy's Rule.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I may be getting senile, but I don't remember making this rule. I'm not saying I didn't make it, I just don't remember making it. Are you sure this wasn't in your very lively imagination?
Love,Mom

janis said...

I remember & still practice this rule. And I am pretty sure, I have heard Sandy use it, ..."remember, make sure you have enough time to pick yourself up if you fall", as Sheri & I ran across the street to the Seats, or were running into the mall when dropped off. I loved it. It made so much sense. I used it not only with my daughters, but friends children, kids I worked with, and even last week, heard myself remind my father of the Sandy Rule as he tried to cross the street in Broad Ripple, (He DOES FALL alot & I need to make sure we have enough time to get him upright and out of the way!) My daughter that is now in college, tells me she has passed this rule on to her friends too, so they have Sandy to thank for not getting ran over in Muncie! Sandy, Sheri gets her lively imagination & her "Sheri Rules" from you! I think I can remember a few other great "Sandy Rules". I hope Sheri will write more about these too!

Sandy said...

This is to Jan.

I must have blocked out that rule completely. Heaven help me if Sheri writes about any more of my rules. I know i had a lot of them.
With love...