Saturday, October 6, 2007

Traveling Times

I'm starting to get a little worried about the oldies. I seem to have to have something to fret about.

They're on their trip and they check in every few days or so ... mainly so I can take care of mail or hear updates on the relatives. The tide has turned. Now, it's usually me calling her.

The other day I called her cell phone and I got the father-in-law. At some point in the conversation he mentioned the beautiful properties they've seen. Well, this sent my brain into overload.

He can't see (although he fakes it very well.)
Are these relatives' and friends' properties or are they scoping out properties to purchase?

They're 84-years old. They certainly don't need our permission to decide the next stage in their lives. Maybe I've misinterpreted the entire conversation. When I mentioned it to the husband, he said, "Let it go -- we'll be dealing with it soon enough."

This is probably much ado about nothing but at what point do you say, "No!" At what point do you take the car keys away? (We're nowhere close to that.) At what point do the decisions change hands? A power-of-attorney isn't enough when you all live under one roof.

At what point do you just let the guilt wash over you?

The husband has a trip next week and I am freakishly excited at the prospect of some time alone.

But, I'm guessing I'll get two hours and then the oldies will roll in.

1 comment: