Sunday, October 14, 2007

Who Would Call at This Hour?

I woke at my usual 4:00 A.M. and I got up at 5:00 A.M. this morning. No use flopping around. My first phone call came at 5:30 A.M.

I have amassed this group of people who are all awake and they know I'm up too. When the husband is sleeping, he gets a little cranky about it. "Who would call at this hour?"

During the 2000 elections when Bush was our president, then Gore was our president, then Bush was our president, I was obsessed. I knew my friend Dean was up and watching. I knew I could call him and I did. Often.

When we went through 9/11, I knew who I could call. I had lots of middle of the night calls. "Switch the channel. Watch this..." So I did.

The early morning phone calls work for me. I'm up. I'm ready.

Most nights, I take my bath and don my pjs. I settle in by 9:00 P.M. I go through my pre-sleep rituals (they don't work.) Then, the phone rings -- usually for the husband. And I get to say, "Who would call at this hour?"

No comments: