Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Ant Song

I have no idea how this tradition started (or why) but a jillion years ago when I was about 12 or 13-years old, my girlfriends (the Golden Girls) and I used to sing it to each other in a crisis.

A crisis at age 13 is usually being rebuffed by a boy, getting a bad grade, having a pimple, someone being mean to you. It doesn't matter; it's still a crisis. During those times, having a girlfriend sing it could make you smile, make you feel loved and change your day.

Just what makes that little ol' ant think he can move that rubber tree plant?
Everyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant.
But, he's got high hopes.
When you're feeling low, 'stead of letting go, just remember that ant.

You know the rest.

This morning I received an email. The gist of it was: I need the ant song.

So, I called and sang it to her. I don't know if she feels any better but I definitely do.

The song title is actually, High Hopes but in our world it's The Ant Song. We're alllowed to request it from each other at any time. It's also mandatory anytime we all get together.

1 comment:

janis said...

It did help. Amazingly very much. I don't know why it does, other than that is our connection, our "I'm there for you,". It will always be our song. I think that it's a very true song about life. I think that in the hussle bussle adult world we now live in, sometimes we need to go back there, to that safe childhood. Where our crisis' were silly but so important to us. It makes me smile seeing & hearing you sing that song. As I know it does for you and Deb. Thank you. A million thank you's will never be enough for me to tell you how much you & your friendship will mean to me forever. ..."Whoops! there goes another Rubber tree plant!". I feel much better!