Friday, December 21, 2007

Into the Madness

After dealing with two different appliance repairmen, the carpet cleaning people and at least twelve phone calls, I thought perhaps I should venture out and get a few gifts for Christmas. I have a few that I've purchased early but that's it. I've managed to pull it together for a couple of parties but my time is running out. (Although I avoid shopping, this is NOT me. I can't figure out when I became this person.)

Since I am always destined to run into someone who knows me or the husband, I decided to shower and slap on some make-up. I hate to give people a Halloween scare during the Christmas season.

I planned two stops. Shopping and the grocery.

On the way to shop, I realized I was hungry so I stopped for a sandwich. Do you think I was putting off my duties? Once inside the store, I started tailing people. They would say, "I think this is the best one." If they put it in their cart, I put one in mine. Then I got distracted with interesting conversations around me so I pulled out my notebook and jotted some writing thoughts. In the midst of this, I answered my cell phone at least three times. At one point, I considered sitting on the floor while I was making my notes and talking on the phone but I decided it might draw undue attention.

I was in the aisle with discounted Christmas decorations and an oldie came up to me with a wad of things in her hand. She thrust them upon me and explained that she has a gift exchange with ... pick one -- her bowling group, her card group, her living will club -- I didn't quite catch it. But, I gave my opinion and helped her pick some other things.

It's official. I am an oldies magnet.

I left the store and it was dark, drizzling and a little foggy. The grocery will have to be taken care of tomorrow. I came home and left everything in my trunk.

I'm having a little Scarlett moment -- Tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

janis said...

I am sooooo proud of you! This is huge! I know you could do it. I told you I would go with you, but it sounds like you got alot accomplished with your little run. Your right, tomorrow is another day. And when you go to the grocery store, avoid eye contact with an oldie. In fact I find that avoiding eye contact with everyone, helps me get my shopping done quicker without distractions! :)