Friday, December 21, 2007

Rule Breakers

I am surrounded by rule breakers. It takes one to know one.

When my angel neighbor was kind enough to replace the mother-in-law's cell phone that had drowned in the sink, the company would not allow her to activate it. The only person authorized to do it is the account holder. They gave her an 800# for the oldies to call. I called and pretended to be her. Last four digits of Social Security Number? I rattled it off. Date of birth? I don't even have to think of these things. I know her relevant numbers as well as I know my own. This, of course, was on the morning I was trying to shove them out the door to Texas. It was not complicated but it did require some time and a few commands that would have thrown her off.

Is impersonating an oldie a misdemeanor or a felony? I'll have to ask the daughter.

This morning was the workout group's Christmas party. Our gift exchange has progressively gotten out of hand so this year we decided to draw names and put a $ limit on the gift. Several people broke the rules. (Okay, I did too but I just bought some dog toys and technically, they were from Gabby.) I only bought a gift for my person. Just looking around, I can tell that everyone went over the $ limit.

In my mind, breaking the rules is permissible if you are doing something kind or trying to help someone. Not everyone agrees.

No comments: