Friday, December 21, 2007

Lady Webster (Again)

I must find a new title for my mother. We've always called her "Lady Webster" but I am becoming her so maybe she'll become "Queen Webster."

She has a command of the English language like no one you know (with the possible exception of English professors.) Just possible ...

I spent my entire childhood learning the proper way to say things, finding the proper words and being told, "Look it up." A habit that continues to this day.

My parents sent me to college. I earned a degree in journalism. Not bragging, just a life experience. My mother can run circles around me in the proper use of any comma, any hyphen or the difference between sit/set, lay/lie. Sometimes she will ask me, "Is that the word you really meant to use?" They could've saved a lot of money on college and I could've camped at her feet.

So here I go down that slippery slope. Girlfriends will be trying to tell an interesting or horrific story (usually about an oldie) and some look will cross my face. And they ask, "Is that the wrong word?" I'm surprised they don't just run. The baby often looks at me like I have a mental illness.

Often, I take a deep breath and let it go. To some, it's insulting to be corrected.

I love to be corrected. I am 44-years old and my mother still gives me little grammar and punctuation tips. She tells me to write it down and I do. Forget gifts -- this makes me giddy. We could probably spend endless days on a deserted island. We would take our dictionaries and diagram sentences and forget to make that "HELP" sign out of twigs.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I obviously don't have a command of the English language...just ask Patsy about a funny story from years ago...but I do continually like to learn. Don't write about me anymore...this is too much pressure.
Love,
Mom

Sandy said...

P.S. Some of us with NO creative writing talent are left with just the ability to proofread spelling, grammar, and punctuation. How boring is that? I love the way you write.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you and your mom must have the book that was written by a national columnist, whose name escapes me, but is known as the nation's grammerian. We bought it as a Christmas present a few years ago and it was very much enjoyed. Patsy