Saturday, December 1, 2007

Problem Solving

The oldies have figured out that if there is a problem and if there is a computer and/or a phone in my vicinity, I will try to solve it. I do this with a pure heart -- it gives me great pleasure to solve a problem or save them money.

Don't get me started on how this society preys on old people. You would run screaming. I could spend hours on this topic. Until you've handled an oldie, dealt with health care, social security and other government things, you have no clue. And here's the thing that blows me away -- my oldies are in the lucky category! Veteran's coverage, social security, people who love them, etc.

Today it was a garbled receipt. The mother-in-law needed to enter the amount spent in her checkbook but it was the end of the roll and the bottom was illegible. I could read the bar code and the relevant information, i.e. transaction number, clerk number. When I called the store, the 9-year old I spoke with said I would have to bring the receipt to the store and they would be happy to give me the information. I (calmly) explained that I had the necessary information in front of me and if she had a computer in front of her, there is no reason for me or two 80+ year old people to drive back to the store.

Shocking! I was transferred to a supervisor who managed to complete my request in less than 60 seconds. (Yes, I realize any teenager in the world could do it.)

The mother-in-law thinks it's magic. Hey, I need all the points I can get.

1 comment:

cecily crossman said...

You are so right about this. I used to deal with these things almost daily. Hope I don't have to start again soon!

They are so lucky to have you.