Friday, December 7, 2007

The Piano

We have our piano tuned four times a year. I am not a musician, nor do I have a musical ear. I couldn't tell you if it's in or out of tune. It all sounds good to me.

We've had the same man come to our house for 10-plus years to tune it. There's lots of banging and adjusting which you think would get on your nerves but it doesn't. Then, he plays a few songs to test different tones and chords. It's like having a private concert in your home. He brings songs/arrangements for the husband to try.

Yesterday was our winter tuning. The husband was headed to the office but I said, "Wait! In a minute, he'll start playing and you have to hear it." So, he did.

Maybe it's the magic of the Christmas decorations. Maybe it's the undecorated tree plopped in the living room. Maybe it's the tuning. All I know is last night turned into a concert in my living room with the husband and the mother-in-law alternating songs and teaching each other. Even Hangdog stayed up until almost midnight. The dog planted herself underneath the piano and camped for the performance.

Singing around the piano is a lost art. I do it with the oldies and often with friends. The husband at the piano can cure a bad day or end a disagreement. I don't think the generations behind us do this, with the exception of the children of this house. I wonder if they will someday have a piano in their homes. I hope so.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

This made me think of one of my favorite old movies, Young at Heart," where the entire family was musical. Your scene sounds heavenly. Wish I could play the piano.

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine anything better or more relaxing than being able to sit down and play a tune on the piano. Sounds wonderful. Patsy