Thursday, December 20, 2007

In Good Company

Up, up and away! With my ever so subtle style, I practically shoved the oldies out the door yesterday. Now, I was kind for a while. I woke them to make sure they had plenty of time for bathing and final packing. I fried up a big ol' country breakfast. At one point, I was printing out their boarding passes and she came into my office and announced, "I don't think we can go." Super sensitive Sheri said, "Too late!"

I went through every single suitcase and coordinated the last minute packing. I clipped IDs to the appropriate documents and stuck a copy of the itinerary (IN HUGE TYPE) everywhere I could think to stick it. Well, not everywhere.

She read in the newspaper that everything has to be in plastic bags. I tried to explain that they are only talking about liquids in your carry-on. She gave me the look and then proceeded to wrap every single item in plastic bags.

About two hours before they were due to leave, she showed me a gaping gash on her arm. Any other day, I would've been speed dialing the doctor. Nope, I slapped some antibiotic ointment on it, patched it up and said, "Your son and his wife are medical people -- make sure they look at this when you get there."

I am in good company. I'm trying to think of one person I know (over a certain age,) who hasn't endured a version of this situation or isn't living with it right now. Complete strangers (friend of a friend of a friend) come up to me and tell me what's going on with their oldies. Girlfriends who used to discuss fashion and children now discuss falls/gashes/mental illness.

So, I had the last bag ready to close and I asked if there was anything else that needed to go. Hangdog said, "Could you fit in there?"

They got to Texas and I guess they were in quite a daze. (They're better today.) But, as predicted, I'm pretty sure the son in Texas (and family) was not prepared.

I am not making this up. They were confused and kept saying, "Sheri will fix it."

Hey, he finally remembers my name.

Millions of people are in the same boat. We'll sink or swim.

No comments: