Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Everyone should have a Mr. Bradley

One more story about my childhood neighborhood ...

Mr. Bradley was the self-appointed neighborhood watchman. This was before the days of community coalitions or gated community councils. This was before people banded together to pay private patrol officers to guard the neighborhood. This was before living in a "secure" area was a goal.

Children creating mischief or strangers in the area were immediately on his screen. He knew eveyone's phone number and did not hesitate to call and ask, "Is everything ok?"

I do not live in a gated community. But, I do have a Mr. Bradley. She lives next door. I hope I return the favor. Good neighbors who look out for your safety and well being are becoming a thing of the past. If it weren't for good friends and neighbors, we would've never known of the fiasco this morning.

When Mr. Bradley passed away, they put his cordless phone in the casket with him. (Most of the numbers had been rubbed off due to years of use.) A fitting tribute to a man who truly understood the concept of neighbors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took some maturity on my part to come to appriciate Mr. Bradley but I finally did. He was a treasure and has been missed. Patsy

Sandy said...

Ditto to Patsy's comment.