Thursday, January 17, 2008

Driver's License

Do you remember passing the test and getting your driver's licence? I do. But even more so, I remember when Jan got hers. Who cares who is driving? One of us had the freedom and flexibility to take on the world.

This is the way the doctor explained the oldie's situation to me. (Remember, he has been instructed by me to speak to me like I'm a 5-year old.) "This is the antithesis of the day you get your driver's license. That day represents an open world, open choices, everything is an option. The day you go into (or are put into) a Home, it is the complete full circle. Your options are narrowing. The road is limited. You are no longer in the driver's seat."

I could use some military training. Both Hangdog and Big Daddy are keeping a stiff upper lip. I'm still spending a lot of time on the dog's pillow.

1 comment:

janis said...

What I remember best about the day I got my license was the fear in your Mom's face! That was priceless. I think I must have had the same look when the shoe was on my foot & my girls' friends got theirs! The only difference is at least the law made them wait to take my babies with them. Sher & I took off like a bat out of hell! We didn't have cells, or gpa systems. We didn't have little beeps & alarms to tell us we were low on gas (Sandy & my Mom would die if they know how many times we ran out). We didn't care! We had FREEDOM!!!