Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Should I Go?

My annual girlfriend trip to Phoenix is coming up. Normally, I would be giddy with anticipation. This year is a little different. The mother-in-law is still in the rehab facility. Hangdog is here and we have very few days to make some tough choices, get answers from VA and Medicare, choose a facility and actually move him. (Including packing for him and coordinating meds, etc.) Then, she will need to be moved as well.

This is my relaxation trip. I read. I get up early and sit with Abby (the other early riser) and we light a fire and sip our coffee. Other than a couple of trips to our favorite Mexican Cantina and the cowboy bar and the coffee shop, we eat whatever great stuff Big Sal has on hand. We're all easy to please. Jeans, sweats or PJs are the favored attire. We watch schmaltzy Lifetime movies. Then we eventually figure out the DVD player and watch other movies. We cuddle with Big Sal's dogs and we sit on the humongous patio or on the rooftop perch and solve the problems of the world, or just our lives.

I get to laugh. A LOT! Last year, I stumbled on Pam in the bathroom in the middle of the night. She thought I was a bear. Not only did we both scream but then we heard Cynthia laughing in her bed. (We had the bunkhouse last time, which is fabulous and for the record, I don't believe a bear could manage those stairs.)

We're all very predictable. Abby will be the first to go to bed, although I might challenge her this year. Mickey will be the last to rise, although I might challenge her this year. We will watch for the javelinas. (Don't call them pigs!)
We will go to Last Chance although none of us needs a single thing.

But...my house is in crisis. The oldies are in crisis. The husband cannot attend to all of these things alone.

I'll believe I'm actually going once someone throws me on the plane and I hear, "Cross check and call forward." Until then, I'm a little skeptical. But, I have been threatened with bodily harm by the girlfriends if I don't make the trip. That might do it. My girlfriends are mighty strong women. I'm a tad afeared of them.

2 comments:

janis said...

I will physically put you on that plane!!! We missed our trip in the fall, and you absolutely must go on this trip! This is for your sanity! You deserve to stop for a very brief couple of days to rejuvenate and BREATHE! Oh my Gosh! You must go. You deserve to have a little fun & take care of yourself. You can't continue to bear the weight you do without giving yourself this well deserved break. You have to take care of yourself to manage taking care of everything you do currently. You have to make Sheri time! You haven't had Sheri time in a long time. I know you have so many responsibiities & without you handling everything, it may be difficult for the household, but, you can get it back in order when you get back. They will survie! You need this break! This is with some of the most fabulous women that will make you laugh, relax, and make you sing (remember how much you use to love to sing? You need that back). I want you to come home & write about the hilarious moments that made you laugh so hard you pee. Learn new things about these friends that you think you already know everything about. I want you to have those fun little memories that no one would get unless they were there, the ones that you are just going about your business then you remember it and bust out with a laugh that no one understands what you are laughing about. And it doesn't matter, you don't have to share it. It's your private joke that you can later call one of the girls, and say,..I thought about such & such..and you both bust out laughing.
You better stop thinking should I go, get packed, get some good well deserved books that are calling you to read, and get ready for "Cross check & call forward".

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sheri is going even if I have to thin out some of her "big" hair by grabbing it and dragging her on that plane next week. (I love you, Sheri!)

To this day I swear those heavy foot stomps were those of a bear. I too would like to see a bear or any critter climb the steps to the bunkhouse, but a bear is what first came to mind when I heard the heavy clomp, clomp. I had my eyes closed so perhaps I was dreaming, but those stomps sounded like they were coming from the outside wall. The 3 of us laid in our beds and giggled forever about that. Wasn't that the same night Cynthia woke up about 4 hours earlier to go to the bathroom but never ended up going because she was disoriented, kept bumping and thumping into walls because she couldn't find it? After stubbing her toes several times, she finally gave up and went back to bed. I would have peed to bed, but it must be nice to have a bladder big enough to hold it that long. When our screams started to die, we could hear Cynthia giggling, trying to keep it down so we wouldn't hear her. At any rate, it obviously wasn't a bear, it was you. For the life of me I still can't figure out how such small people can have such heavy footsteps.....That would be you and Cynthia.

We all will be getting to the airport with bells on and there is absolutely NOTHING that will keep any of us from going.......You hear me Miss Sheri?

I love you!
Pammie