Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Man with Three Wives

I love all those cheesy Lifetime movies. My favorite is the one about Betty Broderick. It's called "A Woman Scorned." It's actually two movies and they usually run them back to back.

Some of my other favorites are:
Dead By Sunset with Ken Olin(another true story)
When Husbands Cheat with Patricia Kalember (super cheesy and extremely unrealistic!)
The House of Secrets and Lies with Connie Selleca
A Chance of Snow with JoBeth Williams

There are countless others and I'm pretty sure I've seen them all.

The other night I couldn't sleep so I watched "The Man with Three Wives." Beau Bridges plays a doctor who is married to three women: Joanna Kerns, Pam Dawber and some other woman. The juggling and the deception ultimately kill him. (Sorry to spoil the ending.)

I'm living a different version of this movie. The husband is only married to me but he IS a man with three wives. Many women would have a problem with this but I don't. Many, many people feel free to comment to me that our friendship is unsettling. I don't care and frankly, I don't think either of my wives-in-law care either.

There are legal bonds and there are ethical bonds. These are the mothers of his children. Their safety and well-being is important to him. We all may squabble over different things but like any family, we're a unit. That really hit me full force when I stood in front of the Belle's casket (in Mississippi) crying with my wives-in-law.

The daughter and the baby are better off for this relationship. (Although they probably complain about having too many mothers.) We all try to put them first but the truth is, we also genuinely love each other. There's a reason people get divorced but there's also a reason people get married. I did not marry either of these women but I see why the husband did.

We celebrate many things together ... holidays, graduations, and this week, a funeral for the Belle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know of two different families who are intertwined like you are and it is so refreshing to see. How wonderful this world would be if we all could get along as well. Patsy

Anonymous said...

Okay, I disagree. I hesitate to leave a comment, but it has been eating at me all day. You have always said, "bring it on" & your thirst for honesty is so real so here goes. While I admire how wonderful you have been to your husbands Ex-Wives over the years, I do believe that you went above & beyond what any sane woman would do. You kept things very peaceful for the kids & they were always at your best interest. There are not any two people in the world that are more Blessed than J & T for having you as a Mom. You not only accomadated but coordinated schedules, and truly helped them to become who they are today. BUT they are grown now. There will be graduations, weddings & even more funerals to attend that you will join the Ex-Wives be cordial & kind. But you don't need to continue the friendship now that the kids are grown. It's Creepy. Your husband chose to not stay married to them. He chose you as his wife. The One & Only Mrs R! He is not a Mormon & he doesn't have three wives (I know he wouldn't want that!). They are his Ex's, they are not Wives In Laws! Stop freaking me out with that!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think that the friendship between Becca, Laura, and Sheri is not simply because of the situation. Yes, Jennifer and I are grown, but in no way does that mean that there is any reason to discontinue any friendships. This past weekend I found myself sitting in a room with all three of them, along with a few others. Everyone gets along extremely well, and they are all able to joke about the situation(which shows that they are comfortable with it). Later my cousin remarked to me that it was amazing that such a thing could occur. I personally find it amazing and admirable that these three women have been able to overcome an awkward situation, and make the best of it by becoming friend.
Tyler

janis said...

WOW! I am impressed. Tyler has grown to be quite the remarkable young man!

Anonymous said...

It seems enormously narrow minded to think that because a situation,that has brought friends together, changes, that the friendship has to end. How lonely for you...