Thursday, January 17, 2008

Opposite

Is it opposite extremes or extreme opposites? All I know is we're living it.

In many ways, the husband and I are polar opposites. He would prefer urban living; I prefer a yard and trees. He's enthralled with high-rise condos; I get claustrophobic just thinking about it. He would prefer no pets; I would have several. (We're a little like Green Acres except I'm the farm-living one and he's the big city one.)

When there's a situation or a crisis, something kicks in for him and he does what needs to be done. I go into a coma or curl into a ball.

We have a crisis at the moment. (We had about 12 hours without one -- you can't expect too much.) Lithuania called this morning while the husband was in the shower. They had to call 911 and dispatch the mother-in-law to the emergency room. She is stable now but we don't really know what's going on. Infection is the possible explanation. Her blood pressure and oxygen levels are screwy.

Here's an ironic twist. While the husband was in the shower, I was going through some paperwork from the Home. When the phone call came, I was reading the document that demands a choice: Use all means available or Do Not Resuscitate. Since he has Power of Attorney, the husband must sign this document -- we just had not gotten to it yet. (Silly me, I was trying to let him relax for a few hours last night.)

Sometimes God taps you on the shoulder. Other times He throws a boulder.

No comments: